Saturday, August 27, 2011

Spring is coming!

I went and checked the lilliums yesterday.
Just over half are poking their heads through the soil.
I am now getting nervous that rabbits might find them tasty.
Their forest home is just the other side of the rabbit proof fence.

The garlic is doing very well.
The "Blood and bone" put down to deter the rabbits has fertilised them well.

The Dianthus is full of buds and it won't be long before I am picking these flowers.

The leafy greens in this circle are ripe for picking.
Cos lettuce, Mizuna, Red Mustard.
The mustard is hot, too hot for my liking.
I picked some for the chooks yesterday but they weren't too keen.
I also weeded all the stinging nettle out of this circle and fed it to the chooks.
They weren't to keen on that either.
Hopefully the worms will like it.

This is one of my favorites.
It is a great filler in bunches of flowers
Fever few
You can eat a few leaves to settle a head ache (so they say)

This is a tulip that Lou gave me for my birthday. It has a purple blush on the outside.
It was chosen for its colours and is beautiful
I have it planted in a pot in the entrance way, greeting all who visit.
Thanks Lou!


1 comment:

Annie said...

I have a tulip at my front door too. Just came out yesterday and mine is yellow. Yeah for the lilliums. Perhaps you could camp down there and chase the rabbits away. I hope they don't get them. The dianthus look great. Mum will love those.